TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Sony Bravia KDL-46HX800 shuts off on its own and standby…

Customer Question
Sony Bravia KDL-46HX800 shuts...

Sony Bravia KDL-46HX800 shuts off on its own and standby power flashes 7x (overheating), apparently. Already replaced the BAL board, but to no avail.

Technician's Assistant: How old is your Bravia?

About 8 years old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Right now TV will not power on, so menu does not currently come up. Same problem on all

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: TV
5/27/2018
TV Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 2 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

I do indeed. My problem is described above. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Would you like for me to locate a company in your area?

Uh, no. I was hoping for some assistance in diagnosing and fixing the problem myself. For example, can you suggest which board or component is the most likely culprit?
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 2 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Different tech here...

It won't turn on with the new BAL board installed?

Where did you get that board?

Does it numbers match exactly?

BAL board ordered used from eBay because I could not find any new parts out there. Part number is ***** the same. TV will start to turn on then turn off fairly quickly with the standby light flashing 7 times, as before.

We have seen this before... since replacing the BAL board didn't change the symptom, this is actually an issue with the LCD panel. I'm very sorry but there is no fix except to replace the entire tv screen which would cost way more than a new 46" tv.

I know this is bad news and very upsetting but please understand I am here to provide an honest answer based on your symptoms and years of experience doing in home tv repairs.

Did you get the message I just posted?

I do want you to be satisfied, so do you need something more?

I got your message. Thanks. I’m sure I have more questions but I’ll follow up on them later.

You're welcome. Before you go, perhaps you can show your appreciation by submitting a 5 star rating at the top of this page so that I am recognized for helping with your question. If you are having issues with the rating try refreshing the page.

What’s your thought on replacing the G6B power board?

Would not help for this issue. 7 blinks is temperature issue with either the BAL or the LCD panel.

How about the LCD control board, just above the BAL board? When the problem first manifested itself, The seven flashes began as soon as I turn the TV on, before it had any chance to heat up. Since then it has been an intermittent problem.

Slim chance / wouldn't count on it... Guess you can try, if you can get one for cheap and/or return policy allows returns.

Thanks again for the replies. I’m going to try a couple things before buying a new TV.

You're welcome. Perhaps you can show your appreciation by submitting a 5 star rating at the top of this page.