TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have an LG tv that I bought about a year ago, though I…

Customer Question
I have an LG...

I have an LG tv that I bought about a year ago, though I haven't used it that much. It worked a few days ago just fine, but when I tried to turn it on today, I just get a big message on the screen that says 'webOS'

Technician's Assistant: What LG model do you have? How old is it?

1 year old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The model is OLED65B6P

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your OLED65B6P? What happened right before this?

Nothing happened, it worked a few days ago and today it's not working. I'm not aware of anything that could have happened. It's very strange. I'm not able to navigate away from the screen that says webOS

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

That's all

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: TV
5/26/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Does the tv respond to the menu button on the lg remote?

No, nothing is responding at all
Okay at this point it’s best not to do anything. It may be going through a software update and you don’t want to interrupt that. So just let it sit. If no change after an hour then unplug power for a few minutes then replug and let me know what happens.
Yeah that's actually where I'm at
This happened this morning
I waited a bit, unplugged it for a while, plugged it back in
same thing, just a big message 'webOS' on the TV and the remote control doesn't work (other than turning the tv off and on)
What about the button on the tv itself at the bottoms edge in the center. Any response to that?
I'll check
no response
Okay we have either a failed/corrupted update or a bad main board here.Unplug power for at least an hour
Then press and hold the power button on the tv for 30 seconds
Keep holding while plugging back in and for another 30 seconds after and let me know the results
Okay will do
I push the power button for 30 seconds BEFORE plugging back in?
keep pressing for another 30 after plugging in, never releasing the button?

Correct

Okay I'll give this a try. Will check back in in a little over an hour

Thanks

Does it matter if the HDMI cable is still plugged in?
There's just one that plugs into an apple tv

You can keep that connected

Okay I just did that
Screen is blank

Thank you for trying

when was the tv purchased? More or less than a year ago specifically?

I ordered it on April 10, 2017

Thanks for checking. We are unfortunately down to internal hardware damage here, which will require repairs.

You are technically past the warranty period then, which is a year, unless you purchased an extended warranty,

but, it is close enough that it would be worth calling LG to complain anyway,

you can file a claim here: https://www.lg.com/us/support/repair-service/schedule-repair and may be able to get some coverage from them.

Outside of the warranty, figure on $250-300 repair costs.

My apologies for the news,

It actually just turned on
But now it's acting a little funny
almost starting working, was about to open up the netflix app, but then got a webos screen again

It may still be finishing an update, following the reset, I'd leave it to just sit for awhile longer and it may come back on its own still. If it doesn't and there is no change after another hour or more, then we are back to the board issue I was mentioning earlier.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.