TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My insignia roku tv is not responding. It goes on but I

Customer Question
My insignia roku tv...

My insignia roku tv is not responding. It goes on but I can't do anything else, can you help. by the way, I'm a senior gal.

Technician's Assistant: How old is your Roku?

Maybe 1 and a half yrs

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

No response on anything

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Roku? What happened right before this?

Sadly my husband died March 23rd and life has been crazy so I don't knopw. It's a tv in my office.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Can't thing of anything, how much for your help

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/2/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 21 days ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Are you using the insignia/roku remote, or something else like a cable/satellite remote?

Initially, if you just unplug power to the tv for a few minutes, and during that time put new batteries into the remote, does it respond then?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I will try that. ok, unplugged all power and put new batteries into, no response. It just turns on!

Can you tell me the model number from the back of the tv, please?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
On the wall, no I don't think so
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
where would it be maybe a mirror would work

Okay we can get by without it, for now, but it may be necessary later,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $300 range (for a typical 42 inch tv)

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Thank you
You’re very welcome!
Nathan, Installer