TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

There are black areas on the tv screen in the background…

There are black areas...

There are black areas on the tv screen in the background which are getting bigger. It seems to be on every input and output. its a samsung 65 in. LED built in 2011. I need to know if this can be fixed or buy a new one.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Samsung TV?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No I dont think so

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

The black sploches are in the background but arent visible when the screen is bright. they become visible on blue skies and such

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/25/2018
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat online with me right now?

Just going by your description, this is not something that can be repaired economically. When the screen develops these dark areas it means the entire screen would have to be replaced, which costs too much compared to replacing the tv with a new one of similar size/features.

Id have to replace the whole screen?

That's correct.

OK Do you know of a way to get rid of your old big screen TV if you buy a new one?

You might just want to retire this tv to a spare bedroom for the kids to use or something. Or try to sell it really cheap on craig's list to someone that doesn't care about the issue.

OK one more..this TV was built in 2011 is this about the length of time for the thing to last?

Depends on how many hours per day the tv is used. If it's 8-12hrs/day then, ya 7-10 years is about right.

Let me know how else I can help.

Before you go, please do show your appreciation by submitting a 5 star rating at the top of this page so that I am recognized for helping with your question. If you are having issues with the rating try refreshing the page.

Mike G.
Mike G., Technician