TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a tv that just started not turning on with the remote…

I have a tv...

I have a tv that just started not turning on with the remote but I can go to the power button on the tv and turn it on. I have used the directv remote and the tv remote with no success

Technician's Assistant: Is your TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

It is connected to a surge protector, but the directv receiver is also connected to the same surge protector and it works.

Technician's Assistant: Happy to help. Want a weekly JustAnswer email to help with other issues? If so, what's your email address? And if you'd still like to talk to the TV Expert, I'll connect you shortly.

Is there a fee.

Technician's Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Ok, the tv is old and has given me very good service. Do they still make the Mitsubishi tv.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I am not able to adjust the coloring on it.

4/23/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you tell me the model number of the tv, please?

the model number is ***** I also am not able to adjust the color on the tv.
No, I do not desire to call you.
I realize it is an old tv but I have had good service with it.

Thank you for checking,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2003 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is many times its service life at this point and crt technology is long obsolete (and mitsubishi has not made tvs at all for about 8 years now)

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $500 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $800 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

No, I do not want to switch to a live phone call. I told you that earlier in the conversation.

I didn't ask you to. That is an ad from the site.

Please focus on our conversation here for this to be productive, I sent a detailed answer above, please scroll up to read it.

I can turn the tv on with the power button on the tv. What tv would you suggest I buy, that is the brand?

If replacing, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as LG, Panasonic, and Samsung, for example: http://amzn.to/2CxVZhP

The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it.

Thank you for the information.

You are very welcome!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen to conclude our session. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Installer
Can the bottom be removed from the tv
I think the bottom is the speakers. I was told many years ago they come apart.

It is possible to take it apart partially, if you need to do so to get it out of the basement for example to take it to the landfill, there are screws around the perimeter on the back/sides and it basically just lifts off

Thank you

You're very welcome!