TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have an eleven yer old Panasonic Plasma TV. For the last…

I have an eleven...

I have an eleven yer old Panasonic Plasma TV. For the last week when I start it the picture is fine and then it starts to mess up the colors and horizontal lines start messing the picture from the center out to top and bottom. In the beginning it would clear after about 20 minutes but now it doesn't clear at all. What do I do?

Technician's Assistant: What Panasonic model do you have? How old is it?

It's 11 or 12 years old. Sorry, had to get model no. TY-ST42PX5W

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes, I first thought it was the Direct TV but I don't have it on any other of my TVs. I put in a BluRAY to see it would play that but there is the same problem no matter what I have it on.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't know?

4/9/2018
technicalcat
technicalcat, Technician

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. This is an independent, fee-based technical support site.

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you now.

Do the horizontal lines extend across the entire display? If you can attached a picture of the picture here, that would be good. thanks.

NOTE: To reply to me, please type your message in the box below and click the button to send.

they do extend across the screen from the middle out. How do I send you apicture?
No, I can't afford another $26.
Again, how do I send you a photo?
If this is not fixable please just let me know so I can do something else.
Are you still there?
HELLO!

Do you have a volt ohm meter, and are you prepared to take the back off the TV, take measurements, and replace board, or possibly components on boards? Many TV's are fixable , but repairing plasma TV's is not easy and for the problem you are having there will not be a quick or easy fix.

Alternatively , you can have the plasma repaired. For a local repair shop this will average around $300 depending on the cost and availability of the defective part.

If you are prepared and would like to proceed with troubleshooting and repair, just let me know.

Please let me know if this answers your question and you are satisfied, or if you need further assistance or information from me. Thank You.

No, I don't have a meter and, no, I'm not prepared to take the back off the TV. Thanks but this didn't really answer my question. I will just try to find a repair shop or get a new TV. Thanks anyway and have a good day.

Well, the general answer to the question is that the TV needs to be repaired. Like I said, I can help you do that, but you need a meter , and the patience, skillls, etc. to carry out the repair as the TV is in a defective state. At this age, the plasma boards, such as the Y sustain can develop problems , which is likely what's going on, but to narrow in on the problem , we'd need to do a lot more internal troubleshooting.

If I've helped you today, please remember to rate my service by clicking the stars. Rating costs nothing more and helps me. I strive for excellent 5 star service. Please also remember you can followup with me on this issue after rating for no additional fee if you have any further questions.

Thanks for using Justanswer.

technicalcat
technicalcat, Technician
Sorry, just disappointed with answer. But tech did his best.

I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed. Could I ask why you are not satisfied , or if you need further information that was not provided?