TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have an out of warranty model M3D55OKDE. it is stuck in a…

I have an out...

I have an out of warranty model M3D55OKDE. it is stuck in a black and white mode, no color.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your M3D55OKDE?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/9/2018
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Welcome to JustAnswer
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this and I'll do my best to help but need the following info to troubleshoot the problem

- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to the TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

I have a cable box, DVD player and Xbox one hooked up. all are in black and white.

OK, following troubleshooting step, should be tried that might help

- Have you tried to disconnect TV and cable box power cords from the power outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.

I Yesterday when the problem first appeared, I unplugged the TV for appx 2 hours and when I plugged it back in it had color until this morning.

OK, please unplug connected video sources power cords as well along with the TV power cord for 10 minutes and reply back with the result

I plugged in the TV and Cable box as instructed and I'm still in black and white mode.

Sorry to hear that, please press the Menu button on Vizio remote

- Does the Vizio menu screen appear in black and white?

Have you tried to reset the TV to default settings?

it had no effect
I just brought the menu up and it's in color.

OK, I would recommend resetting the TV as follows

1. Press the MENU button on the remote. The on-screen menu is displayed.

2. Use the Arrow buttons on the remote to highlight the Help icon and press OK. The Help menu is displayed.

3. Highlight Clear Memory (Factory Default) and press OK.

4. Enter your parental control passcode. If you have not yet set up a parental passcode, enter the default, 0000. The TV displays, “Are you sure you would like to Restore Defaults? This will erase any custom settings.”

5. Highlight Yes and press OK. The TV displays “Memory is being cleared. The TV will reset shortly.”

6. Wait for the TV to turn off. The TV will turn back on shortly afterward and the Setup App will begin.

Please reply back with the result

I reset the tv as instructed, still in black and white.

Sorry to hear that, this also confirmed it is the problem of the mainboard of the TV and not any wrong setting/ reset issue

Replacement of the mainboard on the TV is needed at this point to resolve the problem. Mainboard is the one where video/ HDMI inputs are located

Please click the following link to view mainboard image and part number info if you're looking to attempt to repair the TV yourself

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=M3D550KDE

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use the following link to get a list of TV repair shops in the area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
http://www.tvrepairman.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue
I trust my input will help you out to make the decision about this TV repair or invest that money in new replacement TV
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of this page so I can get the credit for my work on the website
Thank you

thank you. I have to get it repaired.

Much welcome, you have now required info that will help to make the decision

Please rate me a 5-star at the top of this page so I can get the credit for my work on the website

Thanks

Shahid
Shahid, Technician