TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

It stopped turning on. Insignia model NS-55E560A11 date code…

Customer Question
It stopped turning on ...

It stopped turning on

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Insignia model NS-55E560A11 date code 10F10A

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Just the tv. Everything else plugged & wired works fine.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your NS-55E560A11? What happened right before this?

There was a ‘pop’ like socket tripped to avoid surge...then tv shut off. It was on at the time. TV still has red light lit up on front, but won’t turn on.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

That’s all

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: TV
4/4/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 3 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Thank you

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $500 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,