TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My tv was here and mounted when I moved into this house so…

Customer Question
My tv was here...

My tv was here and mounted when I moved into this house so it's as least 8 years old. it's a 242-s11. I was watching it just fine...went down to do laundry and when I came back up...the tv had no picture and no sound and won't turn on or off...it's just dead?!

Technician's Assistant: Is your TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

No. it's plugged into the wall

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes. nothing

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
4/2/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 4 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

I'm not sure what you mean by "won't turn on or off". What exactly is the TV doing right now- any signs of life (power light lit or blinking)? Or is it completely dead as if it were not even plugged in please?

The blue light is on. Usually when I turn the tv on the light turns off and then comes back on. when I try to do that...nothing happens so I have no clue if it is on or off. I have no sound and no picture

I understand. This indicates a failure of the Mainboard in the set and generally requires repairs.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

My husband is trying that now.

Okay, standing by over here.

nothing happened. the blue light is on...but the tv won't turn on

That's bad news I'm afraid. Give me a minute to type this up.

Unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $35:

https://www.ebay.com/i/172390565650?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

if we get this part...all we need to do is unscrew something and will there be instructions on how to do it ourselves? If it's too much of a hassle I'd rather just buy a new tv

There's no instructions from an eBay seller. I'm sharing TV repair info with you to save money if you decide to repair it yourself. You can search YouTube for "flat screen mainboard replacement" to see videos and the process is the same across all model flat screens.

But yes, no soldering is needed. Other than that, did you need further assistance with this?

No. thanks

Could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help.