TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I am having a problem with picture size. The picture is

Customer Question
I am having a...

I am having a problem with picture size. The picture is bigger than the screen so side and bottom are cut off. Samsung suggests I reset the cable box to 16:9 How do I do that?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Its a samsung model # UN40H5201 about 5 yrs old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Menu does work and I have tried setting on the TV with help from online samsung tech but it did not work. He suggested setting at cable box. I have an older Tv that does not have this problem. My wife first noticed the problem shortly after optimum did some work on the lines to our house

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your UN40H5201? What happened right before this?

Had the issue when it was first installed but a friend and I managed to get it to work{ I do not know just dumb luck } but it recurred after line work and I cannot resolve it so far

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2018
TV Technician: technicalcat, Technician replied 25 days ago
technicalcat
technicalcat, Technician

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. This is an independent, fee-based technical support site.

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you now.

How do you have your cable box connected to your TV? For example, HDMI cable, or RF (coaxial)

NOTE: To reply to me, please type your message in the box below and click the button to send.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
hdmi cable I believe
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I have been thru samsung and cable vision techs already lets continue by email

Is it a flat square metallic ended cable, or a round cable with a screw on connector?

Phone support would make this much easier and faster to solve. I sent you an offer for that, and if you'd like to accept it, I can connect with you right away. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I already said no
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
continue

Is it a flat square metallic ended cable, or a round cable with a screw on connector? Please check the cable.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
screw on

So, you have black bars on both sides of the screen when watching TV?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
not exactly the picture size is wider than the screen also vertical sometime heads seem cut off Samsung suggested selecting 16:9 picture size thru menu did that but it did not change the picture

You can change the ZOOM/Picture mode with your remote if you have that feature on the TV. However, the picture coming from the RF connection will probably never be scaled to your liking. You will either watch "as is" with black bars, or you will zoom and distort. Check for an HDMI output on the cable box. If it's there, connect with HDMI instead. If it's not there, get a box from the cable company with an HDMI (digital) connection. You need this with a modern TV.

Please let me know if this answers your question and you are satisfied, or if you need further assistance or information from me. Thank You.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
will check with Cablevision

Not sure I understood your response. Did you find an HDMI output?

Louie, Technician