TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Hdmi ports don't seem to be recognizing my devices as i

Customer Question
hdmi ports don't seem...

hdmi ports don't seem to be recognizing my devices as i connect them onto the TV

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

My TV is a samsung, it's a 4k UHD smart TV. the model code/number is: UN40MU6290

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Samsung? What happened right before this?

Well i believe this has been going on for about a week now. i was pretty much watching netflix on my console prior to this incident. When i woke up the next morning, and turned on my xbox as well as my tv, it just gave me the "no signal" message.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I've tried everything i could, went online to see how others attempted to fix their tv. Such as disconnecting everything from the TV. DIfferent "Handshake" methods on connecting the cables to the tv as well as my console. Tried Factory Reset as well, and it didn't do anything about it.

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: TV
3/31/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 21 days ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Does this happen only with the xbox? Or other devices too (cable/satellite, dvd, etc)?
Do any of the apps still work? What about analog (component/composite) sources?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Hi nathan.
I've bought this TV simply for bigger screen and better enjoyment in regards ***** ***** I first thought that this problem is simply due to an HDMI cable mulfunction, so i bought a new one. Then when the problem still persist, i was like maybe it's just the console so, i borrowed my friends PS4 to see if that was the case. Once again the problem persists. And by apps do you mean like being able to watch netflix solely on the TV kind of thing, then yes.

Yes that is what I meant by apps.

Is it possible for you to test the analog inputs like the red/green/blue or red/white/yellow cords, and see if those work?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
At the moment, i don't think i'd be able to test those, since i don't have any of those analog inputs.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
any stores near me are currently closed, so if i have to get those analog input cables, i'd have to try tomorrow.

Okay if you could test that would be a helpful next step here.

If it is happening on multiple devices though, this is almost certainly an internal hardware failure in the hdmi processing circuitry in the tv.

There is no setting that would cause this.

In the meantime, until you can test the other connections, there is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:

1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

Let me know if that helps, as well as how the other cords work, at your convenience.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
alright thank you, ***** ***** there anyway i can configure the hdmi ports throught the "factory reset menu"

No, there is really no configuration for them, they are preassigned and simply work (or don't) there is no adjustments for those hdmi ports.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
ok then thank you

You're very welcome

Louie, Technician