TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

MY JVC LT/55NU57A KEEPS SHUTTING DOWN AFTER 10 SECS. ABOUT 5…

Customer Question
MY JVC LT/55NU57A KEEPS...

MY JVC LT/55NU57A KEEPS SHUTTING DOWN AFTER 10 SECS

Technician's Assistant: How long have you had your 55NU57A?

ABOUT 5 YEARS

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your JVC product?

NOTHING ABOUT TO TRY REMOTE SETTINGS

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

MY JVC TV MODEL LT55NU57A LOSES PICTURE BUT KEEPS SOUND AFTER ABOUT 10 SECS

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/30/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 24 days ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $500 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 19 days ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Installer