TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Picture is gone. I still have sound and can change channels…

Customer Question
Picture is gone Technician's...

Picture is gone

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I still have sound and can change channels with my satellite remote, but no picture

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2018
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 27 days ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Welcome to JustAnswer, an independent, pay per question support website
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this and I'll do my best to help but need the following info to troubleshoot the problem

- Could you please get me the complete model number written on back cover or side panel of the TV?

- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to the TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
UN46H5203AFXZA
Satellite box

OK, following troubleshooting step should be tried that might help
- Have you tried to disconnect TV and cable box power cords from the power outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I unplugged everything for about 20 minutes or so

OK< does the screen glow/ light up or show any graphics when turning TV power On?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
No it is completely black

- Do you see a dim/ faint picture/ graphics if shine a good flashlight closely on the screen at an angle?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
No

OK, typing info for you, please hold on

Unfortunately, it is backlight system failure on the TV and either the mainboard or the backlight LEDs inside the screen have failed, I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

If TV is out of warranty then please click the following link to view mainboard and backlight LED stripes image and part number info if you're looking to attempt to repair the TV yourself

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung/un46h5203afxza

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use the following link to get a list of TV repair shops in the area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
http://www.tvrepairman.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs the defective board or LED stripes replacement to resolve the issue, mainboard replacement is bit simple but backlight LED stripes replacement needs to take apart the screen which is quite risky and complicated work
I trust my input will help you out to make the decision about this TV repair or invest that money in new replacement TV
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get the credit for my work on the website
Thank you

Do you need any further assistance with this question?

Shahid
Shahid
Shahid, Technician