TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I hope so. My TV is not recognizing a device plugged into…

Customer Question
My TV is not...

My TV is not recognizing a device plugged into the hdmi3 port. I have an Insignia. I am not sure if the model but I’ve had it a while. Where can I find the model number.

Technician's Assistant: The TV Technician will be able to walk you through that. What Insignia model do you have? How old is it?

Also the device has been working. Last used on Sunday. It hasn’t been unplugged

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The TV menu works. My cable works on HDMI1. My ROKU (which is the one I’m having problems with) was working on HDMI3

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Insignia? What happened right before this?

I was using the ROKU on Sunday, watching HULU so it’s been working fine. Now I’m getting the message that there is no signal on HDMI3. I used it last on Sunday

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No I just need this issue fixed

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: TV
3/29/2018
TV Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 3 months ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan. I need to know the model number from the TV's rear panel. Also, how old is it?

Model # is
NS-50D421NA16
Manufactured 9/2015

Great, thanks! Now, you said HDMI 1 is working and 3 is not. I've seen this before. How about HDMI 2?

I don’t believe I have anything plugged into HDMI2. My device worked fine on HDMI3 a few days ago. But when I go to HDMI2 I get the same message as if there is nothing there. To reiterate, my device worked fine with HDMI3 a few days ago. We haven’t changed anything. We haven’t unplugged anything. We haven’t moved anything.
I can try plugging into HDMI2 tomorrow. TV is heavy and it’s hard to get to the back of it but I’ll give it a try

OK, we either need to connect the cable box to HDMI 2/3 since we know the cable box works, or connect the Roku to HDMI 1 since we know HDMI 1 works. This will help us narrow down the problem.

Sure that would be great. Thanks!

The cable works on HDMI1 currently. I’m aftaid to move it since it’s working. I can try to locate the HDMI2 and plug the Roku into that first and pray that works.

If the Roku died, then that test isn't going to help. We need to connect Roku to HDMI 1, or the cable to HDMI 2/3.

basically since we know HDMI1 works if we plug the Roku there then it’ll tell us if the Roku is dead? And moving the cable to HDMI3 will tell us if the HDMI3 port is bad?

Exactly.

Try that, and post back tomorrow and let me know how it went.

Okay I’ll give it a try tomorrow if I can get to it

OK.

It appears my Roku is bad. I moved the cable from HDMI1 to HDMI3 and it works fine in both places. I moved the Roku from HDMI3 to HDMI1 and it still doesn’t work.