TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

When I turn it on, a light comes on in bottom right corner.

When I turn it...

When I turn it on, a green light comes on in bottom right corner. When cable kicks in the screen shows HDM1. After a second you hear what sounds like an electric short and the green light starts flashing orange and nothing comes on. After unplugging the TV and replugging several times the TV finally came on. That worked the last couple of days. Now, it stopped working. I can play DVD's with no problem but regular TV won't come on.

Technician's Assistant: Is your TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

Yes.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes. Like I said, that worked for the first couple of days. Now, does not.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that's it.

3/28/2018
ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support, Customer Service

Hello and welcome! I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

Just to review your information and thank you for being very detailed about your notes. It helped that you were able to troubleshoot past not getting it to turn on to play your shows. I see you've rebooted the TV a few times to get the picture to come on. Past this, you said that you don't have any trouble at all playing DVDs? You don't ever have to reboot the TV?

Not for the DVD player. I switch the TV to AV1 and it comes on.

Have you powercycled the cable box when you are having a picture issue?

No calls, please.

Please disregard that ad. It pops up to suggest it.

Thank You.

Have you rebooted the cable box when you can't get a picture? I know you said there is a static type noise which is concerning but it doesn't sound like it is the TV in this case.

I did. Same results, blank screen. I agree, the noise sounds like an electrical short. I stopped doing that. Now, it does nothing.

Where does the buzz come from? Does it come from the TV or say the cable box?

It was coming from the TV. It stopped doing that. Now the green light stays on, but nothing but a blank screen.

Based on the symptoms, I wonder if it's a short coming from the HDMI cable. It's a simple test if you have another cable to try. This is why I think this. You don't have any problems with your DVD player and TV in general. So, it's only a picture issue between the cable box and the TV. That's the only connection between the two.

Do you know if your HDMI cable is plugged up directly to your TV or does it go through a receiver (sound system) before connecting to your TV?

From the TV to the cable box.

Perfect, do you have another HDMI cable to try? I really believe that would solve the issue with the picture issue. If you need to go purchase one, you can always report back the findings here as I'll still continue to work with you on it.

I do. I also have a new power cord. Should I try changing that?

Yeah, go ahead and just swap out the HDMI cord.

OK. Did that. I Powered the TV off and On. Almost worked. Did get a notice on the Top of the TV that we're set on 1080HDM1. I'm going to try rebooting the cable signal.

Perfect. And, I don't have any doubts but have to say it. Just make sure HDMI connectors are connected properly into TV and cable box. Mine will wiggle loose because I have an older TV in one of my rooms so I have to make sure that it's secured once it goes back to the corner.

The reboot did not work. However, the new power cord did. Amazing. Thank you very much for your help.

No problem! Before you head out, do you mind giving me a quick rating in the top right (hopefully 5 stars!) Thank you! It's been a pleasure working with you!

ISP Cable Support
ISP Cable Support, Customer Service
You got it. Thank you, ***** *****