TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We had an electrical storm last night, and my Sony Bravia…

We had an electrical...

We had an electrical storm last night, and my Sony Bravia will not power on. It was plugged into a surge protector. A clock plugged into the same surge protector was blinking this morning and had to be reset. The set is about 6 years old, 32". Time for a new set, or worth getting repaired?

Technician's Assistant: Is your Bravia connected to a surge protector or power strip?

It says "surge protector" but it doesn't have a switch like my other surge protector.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes.

3/28/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's the model number off of the back of the Sony please?

Also, are there currently any signs of life at all on the set (power light lit or blinking, etc.)?

Model KDL 32M4000.
No signs of life.
Btw, the surge protector does have an on/off switch. I just didn't see it. It was on.

Thanks for the reply. Just to cover the basics, try plugging the Sony directly into an outlet and let me know if the power light come son.

Hello?

No. No lights are sign of life. Tried the on/off on the set as well as the remote.

Okay, this indicates a hardware fault in the TV (most commonly with the Power Board) and generally requires replacement of that part to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps and are you able to get any response from the set?

If you're still having the same problem, then unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply board has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $50:

https://gopartserv.com/products/1-474-099-11-12-dps-205cp-sony-g1d-power-supply?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=6993354555443&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-uzVBRDkARIsALkZAdkdem2IhwZyGDwjRzjR1bObIN_1e-rmoEH_3wdcuz0uxe1jePj-qbEaAlMWEALw_wcB

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Still no sign of life. Where would I go to get the power board replaced, and what do you estimate the cost?

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like: http://www.tvrepairpros.com Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

Aric, Technician
Thanks for the infor. I'll provide a positive rating.

You're welcome and best of luck.