TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Panasonic VIERA TH-42px50u picture is enlarged and off

Customer Question
Panasonic VIERA TH-42px50u picture...

Panasonic VIERA TH-42px50u picture is enlarged and off centered

Technician's Assistant: How old is your Viera?

Don’t know

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes. No

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Viera? What happened right before this?

1 day. Don’t know.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: TV
3/27/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 25 days ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

What are you watching when this happens? Cable/satellite, dvd, etc?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Amazon fire tv streaming

Okay that is more likley coming from the stick,

go into the firestick settings menu, under display, and look for the size options there,

you should see arrows on each side of the screen which you adjust with the cursor buttons on the fire remote, to set it to the correct size to fit your screen.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Let’s get to it or I will cancel payment.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
You have 1 minute
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I am canceling the payment

I sent you a response, above, several minutes ago.

Please scroll up to see it.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok I see now. Not the problem I tried adjusting on fire tv not Firestick

That is the first step,

now use the panasonic remote and look for a button that says ZOOM, ASPECT, WIDE, RATIO, SIZE, FORMAT, etc

press that, repeatedly, to cycle through the different options, you'll want to get it to normal or wide typically,

then you may have to go back and further refine the firestick setting

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Did that last night. Also set tv back to defaults

Go into the firestick settings and make sure that the output resolution is set to 720p,

then adjust the panasonic size options, and fire options, again

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Did not fix

If you bring up the panasonics own menu screens, are they displaying properly?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I have no other picture on tv other than stream. Therefore I must switch inputs adjust on TV input. ??s

Then this is a firestick issue,

you can try doing a factory reset on it as well, and then adjust again from there

The aspect/size setting from the panasonic remote has to be done on the hdmi input mode where the stick is connected,

each input is adjusted individually so if you are going to another you aren't changing it where it would affect the stick

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
The aspect on the tv never gave the full screen since I’ve owned it. A very small part of Rt and left was cut off.It may be a fire tv problem.

It is really more of a compatibility issue at this point, if all adjustments have been made on both ends. You should still be able to further pull in the extents/borders on the firetv to compensate, but keep in mind this is a very very old (2005 model) tv that was designed long before any of these streaming devices were on the market and the signal types have evolved somewhat so they are not always going to work perfectly.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I cannot adjust in hdmi mode. Aspect button does nothing, also no option to click on zoom adjustment. Zoom adjustment option only available inTV mode
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ivan pull in on fire tv, but pictures are still enlarged and off center irregardless

On your model, the aspect function actually is locked out for hd (720/1080) signals, because the tv lacks the ability to scale those resolutions,

you could try setting the firetv output to 480p instead, which should then allow adjustment on the tv,

but the picture quality won't be as good. That is a tradeoff though of quality for size.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
480p is not an option
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Are we done?

480 should be one of the options on the stick display resolution choices (480/720/1080). If you don't see it there, then they removed it in a software update at some point for your stick model.

That is the only other option to try to adjust this. At that point you can really only just live with it as-is, knowing this is a limitation of an older tv,

replace the tv,

or replace the stick with another device like a roku express plus that can use a different (composite) connection which can be adjusted.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Why did it change suddenly? We have been using for months

Most likely from a software update (which happen automatically) on the stick,

it may have even been set to 480p previously and that option was dropped on a recent update so the issue came up at that point

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
We got into a settings the other day that I have not seen since. I don’t remember what or how it was enabled or if anything was adjusted unintentionally.

You may want to do a full factory reset (not just restart) of the stick, just to be safe.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
This was on the tv not device.

You had mentioned resetting the tv as well, which may have caused some other unintentional changes.

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 22 days ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Installer