TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Toshiba model 40G300U1 keeps automatically turning itself…

Customer Question
Toshiba model 40G300U1 keeps...

Toshiba model 40G300U1 keeps automatically turning itself on. I'll turn it off with the remote, and it will stay off for a while, and then later I'll find that it is back on again.

Technician's Assistant: How old is your 40G300U1?

Purchased in November 2010

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

I can access to menu using the keys on the side of the tv, but cannot seem to get to the set up menu

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your 40G300U1? What happened right before this?

It just started the past week or so, after a power outage caused by the recent snowstorms. We do have emergency power generation that kicked in.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

We are on the FIOS cable for TV that had to be replaced following one of the recent storms, if that could have had anything to do with it. Verizon responded that it has to be a tv issue as the receiver has no way to automatically turn on the tv

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 26 days ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Mainboard being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps and are you having the same problem?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I did as you instructed 2 times. The TV powered up normally both times. I cannot say that the problem has been resolved until I turn it off and let it sit to see if it turns itself on

How long is the set typically off for before turning itself back on?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No thanks.

I'm not sending that offer. Again, how long is the set typically off for before turning itself back on?

Aric, Technician