TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

When i plug my samsung 50" in, the screen just very dimly…

When i plug my...

When i plug my samsung 50" in, the screen just very dimly flickers

Technician's Assistant: What Samsung model do you have? How old is it?

UN50EH5300F ... Its about 3 years old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Nothing but dim flicker.. that's all

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Samsung? What happened right before this?

Right before this, the tv was working perfectly. it just happened a couple of days ago. Ive been unable to use it since then

3/25/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Are you saying the screen flickers without you actually pressing the power button to turn it on? Also does the Samsung welcome logo display normally?

when i plug it in, there is a dim flicker. that's it

Once more- so you're NOT pressing power to turn it on- it just starts flickering on it's own?

Please reply back to exactly what is asked so I can help you.

correct

How about the power light- what's that doing when you plug it in?

no lights on the front. I can see a few white lights blinking through the slots in the back

Are you looking to repair this yourself?

if its as easy as pressing a few buttons, sure... otherwise, no way

No, it's not a button thing. Please standby.

Aric, Technician
stevenl1469
Phone call session started

Unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $70:

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Samsung-UN50EH5300F-Main-Board-BN94-06882C-BN97-06298N-BN41-01812A-/555582162?goog_pla=1&gpid=177431040781&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o2&ad_type=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkd3VBRDzARIsAAdGzMD0PvbK270D7J_UYY2CO0QhAcI_bYVRgqHiM8kSkgs3hXKYKUd5OsMaAiCJEALw_wcB

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:
http://www.tvrepairpros.com
Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?