TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The top fifth of the screen is darker the the rest of the…

The top fifth of...

The top fifth of the screen is darker the the rest of the picture? Just started to happen

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Sony

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Is there a way to find model on screen?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Sony? What happened right before this?

Just started today

3/25/2018
Steven, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you available to chat?

Okay, I have read your question and understand their is a dark area at the top of your LCD screen that is developing ?

is this apparent with all sources / devices that are attached, cable box DVD etc?

No just this tv. I just attached a picture

Yes I mean is it apparent on inputs that you may be using from a cable box or DVD player etc. the dark strip is their no matter what you watch?

I don't see the picture could you try and attach it again?

Okay I see it, that is what is know as a backlight strip that has failed, it is an internal strip of LED's that are not lit causing the darker area at the top, the fix for this is complex as the LCD screen needs to be disassembled and the faulty strip of LED's needs to be replaced. Do you have the model number of the TV?

The picture I posted shows what LED back light strips look like you can see how a row of faulty strips can cause the darkness across the entire screen.

On some models you can get to it using the menu / support option in the TV menu if you don't see it their then it would have to come from the tag on the back of the TV?

I can’t get to it.

Okay unfortunately I can't get you a part number for the light strips without it, if you are not attempting to repair this your self then it would not matter, the unit can be repaired. The average cost of back light strips is around 120.00 bucks, shops charge between 150 and 200 additional dollars for labor in most cases. certain shops will repair backlight systems while others won't attempt is due to the complexity of the repair.

Ok
Thank you for the help

No problem thank you for using JA, please consider accepting or rating as that is the way techs on the site get credit for their time her. Thank you again and good luck with it.

Steven, Technician