TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

All of my inputs give me a blue screen. It is a Mitsubishi…

All of my inputs...

All of my inputs give me a blue screen. It is a Mitsubishi LT 55-164. I have tried every reset possible, different cables, periferal devices, HDMI, RCA, you name it and I have tried it. I plugged in an Amazon Fire Stick last night and same blue screen issue but after doing all of the resets like inhale done today, it started working. After about an hour it went to a blue screen again but came back on for about two more hours. It finally went off for good and I can't get anything to work at all.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Mitsubishi TV?

I only plug in the one cable to the device I am trying to test at one time. So no unless I am trying to test something, PlayStation, Amazon Fire Stick, Etc.

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I just got the tv from a friend so I don't in know it's history. The test pictures and audio tests that I run work perfectly but whatever main board that controls all of the inputs for audio and sound is either very intermittent or failed.

3/25/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Unfortunately these symptoms indicate a failed Mainboard in the set (the board that processes external AV signals) and generally requires replacement of this board to fix the issue).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

If you're still having the same problem, then unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $165 (but is currently showing as out of stock):

http://www.shopjimmy.com/mitsubishi-934c374002-main-board.htm

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $300-$350 parts and labor, which may or may not be cost effective as a brand new 46-50" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

I repair two way commercial radios for a living so I am comfortable with any electronic fixes. I have solder/desolder equipment but if it is plug and play then it should be pretty simple. I have the back of the tv off and there is a sub card plugged into the top of the input main board that is flashing. Is that normal? Also when I plug the tv in there is a green light on the front that flashes for several seconds before I can power the tv up. Is that normal? I have ran through the error code procedures for this model and it shows no error codes.

Yes, I'm very familiar with this issue and it's a faulty mainboard all day long. I've likely seen over 100 of this failure on this model as well. You need to replace your Mainboard to fix the TV.

I repair two way commercial radios for a living so I am comfortable with any electronic fixes. I have solder/desolder equipment but if it is plug and play then it should be pretty simple. I have the back of the tv off and there is a sub card plugged into the top of the input main board that is flashing. Is that normal? Also when I plug the tv in there is a green light on the front that flashes for several seconds before I can power the tv up. Is that normal? I have ran through the error code procedures for this model and it shows no error codes. It worked for a couple of hours last night with my Amazon Fire Stick but went blue screen for about two minutes and then came back. After another hour or so it went blue and I cannot get any periferal equipment to connect without showing a blue screen. It recognizes the equipment being connected but will not show any audio or video.

I can't say it any other way, and everything you're posting simply reinforces the fact that the TV has a failed Mainboard. I'm not sure what other information you're looking for.

No error code will show for a bad mainboard. The screen will remain blue for all video sources with a bad mainboard. The mainboard is the only board in the set that can fail and cause a blue screen. Yes it will recognize peripherals and not display their video with a failed mainboard. Was there anything else you needed?

No. Thanks for your help. I will give you a great review. Can you please just tell me what the jump drive looking card that USB plugs into the top of the main board does? It was flashing when i first took the back off to check to see if any cables were unplugged and I unplugged it and then plugged it back in. It seemed to reset all of the inputs which was good bc I had a fresh start on recognizing every device I plugged in. Do you know what that is?

I'm looking at a picture of the Mitsubishi Mainboard and do not see what you're seeing. Postback with a photo of this jump driver and specifically where it's located.

My best guess is someone put a USB photo drive into your TV to view photos??

Green light flashing simply means the drive is being powered. Beyond that I need to see what you're seeing to have any other idea. In stock form, the Mits does not "come" with any USB drive attached...

Aric, Technician
I sent a pic. It says azure were. Wireless 802.11. It must be the ability to connect to my router or Bluetooth capability

It's a wireless internet adapter- aftermarket, and not related to the problem the TV was having.

There are many repair options on eBay for that specific board with many great reviews for 80$. Do you recommend that option?

I have no direct experience with any of those vendors/repair services but I would say it's worth a shot so long as they have good feedback and you use Paypal so you have purchase protection.

Thank you Aric. It has been a pleasure.

You're very welcome and much appreciated!