TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We are having difficulty connecting the computer to the TV…

We are having difficulty...

We are having difficulty connecting the computer to the TV via an HDMI chord. It has worked before just fine. But recently, as soon as we connect the TV to the hdmi source it starts shutting on and off constantly. This is a Magnavox flat screen TV. We don’t have satellite or cable on it we just use it for DVDs etc

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your media player? How old is it?

Media player? You mean TV or laptop we use? We have switched laptops so that is not the problem. The TV works fine to watch a movie just as soon as we try to connect it to a hdmi source it starts shutting on and off constantly again. The TV model is about 3 years old

Technician's Assistant: The Video Technician will be able to walk you through that. What have you tried so far with your media player?

We have tried unplugging the TV for hours, holding the power or reset button several times etc. but no luck

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that is all

3/25/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's the model number off of the back of the TV please?

39ME313V/F7

Thanks for the reply. Are you plugging the HDMI cable into the TV while it's on and then it starts shutting down? If so, you shouldn't be- the TV needs to be off as HDMI sends 5 volts LIVE to the TV. Let me know.

Hello??

Okay, here's the deal- it's likely that connecting it to the TV while it's on was the catalyst that caused this problem. The set cycling on and off is caused by a fault with the mainboard. The mainboard is also the board that houses the HDMI jacks. So that said, have you tried a new HDMI cable yet? If not, can you please try that with the TV OFF and then turn it on and let me know what happens?

I bought a new HDMI chord this week so that not the problem
have the TV off. Connect it to the HDMI chord and port in the TV(while it is off) and then turn the TV on? Please confirm if that is what you want me to try

Correct.

Still does the exact same thing
Would calling you make it easier?

There's no benefit to a phone call right now. The TV has a faulty Mainboard. There's no pushbutton fixes for this. Standby while I type this up please.

Unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $55:

http://www.tvpartsguy.com/magnavox-39me313v-f7-main-board-ba31tbg04011-a3atduh/?gclid=CjwKCAjw7tfVBRB0EiwAiSYGM1ooM9QarIWChiG6xR7P_6X6Dmjy6mTIADCvxRb9RBzU6kCSH8nsCRoC91UQAvD_BwE

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 40" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

Aric, Technician
Ok we will look into options and go from there. Thank you so much for your help - we really appreciate it. Have a wonderful evening. We will give you a 5 star review

You're welcome and best of luck with the set. The stars are at the top of the page. Let me know if you're unable to find them.