TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My tv's left speaker is buzzing and the volume is all the…

My tv's left speaker...

My tv's left speaker is buzzing and the volume is all the way down and nothing is plugged into it.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

No

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it

3/24/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's the model number off of the back of the TV and how old is it as well please?

model# ***** ***** 2015

Thanks for the reply. This would point to a fault of the Mainboard in the set and generally require repairs.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up and plays audio normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps and are you still having the same problem?

I just ran through the steps 1 time...

Thanks for the reply. Standing by....

Did this the 2nd time... and the buzz is still there.

Raise the volume up- does the buzz get louder? Also is there any audio when you watch a program?

The buzz does not go up when I turn up the volume. I have not plugged anything in to see if a program has volume but I can.

Okay, and no there's no need to. These symptoms do indicate a hardware failure. Please give me a minute to type this up.

Unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard has an issue (the audio IC is faulty) and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $35:

https://www.ebay.com/i/162806692425?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

I appreciate the info! Thanks a lot!

You're welcome and best of luck! Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

The stars to rate are all of the way at the top of the page. Let me know if you're unable to see them.

Aric, Technician