TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Sony KDP-57XBR2 (rear projection) TV. After it's…

I have a Sony...

I have a Sony KDP-57XBR2 (rear projection) TV. After it's been on for a while, the screen goes almost totally red. There are also some faint horizontal lines that show up as well. I'm not sure if it's the red gun going bad or perhaps the control board. We've had it for about 16 years now.

Technician's Assistant: Are there buttons on the side, bottom, or back of your KDP-57XBR2?

The only buttons available without remove the front cover are the power button and the volume control.

Technician's Assistant: What menu options can you access, if any?

I haven't tried any of the menu buttons yet. It acts like the red gun is overdriving.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I saw some other posts for the same unit where the user was told to remove the front cover and adjust the pots for the gun. Since this a transient issue, I believe it's a component problem but it's been a few decades since I worked on TVs and there aren't that many discrete components in them any more, even 16 years ago.

3/24/2018
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hello
Welcome
I am sorry you are having trouble here,I am presently reviewing your question be with you very soon.

Anthony

It could be the red screen voltage control pot ITSELF so you need to have a look at that first have you had the front off ?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No, not yet. I'll remove it.

Do you have a service manual for this set?it would help with removal

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I have it off but don't see any pots on the red gun board on the board around the neck (deflection control I'm assuming).
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
34;or" on the board around the neck (typo)
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
The screen is totally red now.

No I think you have to take the FRONT lower cover off on this set to gain access to it do you have the service manual for the set?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I have the front cover off. I took a picture and I'm going to attach it.

OK

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Do you know where I can get a service manual?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/794919/Sony-Kdp-57xbr2.html?page=206#manual

Click the above link you can go back to the beginning and also download the manual free

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thanks.

Your Welcome

If you need more help let me know

A positive rating at this point is welcome of 5 stars hopefully with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page thank you,the site will then release a payment to me thanks again,note question remains open for 30 days
Anthony

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I just need to look at the manual to determine which is the correct pot and adjust that. I opened the left side which is where the red gun but I didn't realize the pots were on the right side. I'll try that.

Let me know what happens with the pot when you adjust it I suspect it could well just be the pot so it will be noisy so let me know how it behaves

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
That got it. I just had to dial the red pot down a little. Many thanks!

Yes thatis great news!

Anthony

Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician