TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Mitsubishi projection tv. It was working and then…

Customer Question
I have a Mitsubishi...

I have a Mitsubishi projection tv. It was working and then all of a sudden it wouldn’t turn on. The timer light is flashing green.

Technician's Assistant: Is your Mitsubishi TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

No it is plugged into an outlet.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

I had it unplugged for a week and still the same thing when you plug it in.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: TV
3/24/2018
TV Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 1 month ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan. What's the model number from the back of the TV? How old is the TV?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
WS-65511. Don’t know how old.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still there Dan?

Yep, thanks for your patience. Busy today. Does the light start flashing as soon as you plug in the power cord, or only after you press power?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As soon as you plug it in.

It's OK for that light to flash for a few minutes. Have you watched it for 5+ minutes to see if it ever stops?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It doesn’t stop.

OK give me a few minutes to type up an answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK.

OK, on the WS-65511, that green light is supposed to blink for about 70 seconds while the DM (digital module) microprocessor is booting up inside the TV. If the light keeps blinking like you described, the microprocessor is running but the DM isn't booting up properly. The DM is circled in red >>here<<. There are a number of boards inside the DM… a power board, an E2P module, tuner, etc.

Now, what has happened with your TV is very common. The DM power board is failing. More specifically, the capacitors on the board are well known for going bad and causing this exact issue. There have been cases of other parts causing these symptoms, but it's very rare and not worth discussing, in my opinion. >>Here<< is a picture of the DM’s innards. I circled the capacitors in red.

So, what now? Well, if you’re good with a soldering iron, start by replacing the capacitors. There are 7… each rated at 1000µF, 16V, 105°C. You can get them at newark.com, mouser.com, or any number of other sites. They should run about $1 each.

If you aren’t good with a soldering iron but don’t want to call in a professional, you can send your board to ptselectronicsinc.com and have it rebuilt… it’ll run you about $60. You’ll need to do the card removal/install labor.

If you don’t want to do any of this yourself, contact a technician. A reputable shop shouldn’t have any issues with this type of repair.

I really hope that answers your question! Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Have a good day.

You're welcome! If I can do anything else, just ask.