TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a brand new samsung TV. Probably watched it a total…

Hello! I have a...

Hello! I have a brand new samsung TV. Probably watched it a total of 10 hours. It just turned off while watching it, and will not turn back on. The red light is blinking on the bottom right corner.

Technician's Assistant: Is your Samsung TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

No it is not. Should I try that?

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Not yet, I just unplugged it and will wait here a few minutes, then plug into a power surge cord.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No, I think that covers it

3/24/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Offhand this could point to a premature hardware fault in the Samsung unfortunately and may need to be exchanged at the retailer.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

OK great. Trying now.

Okay, standing by.

Alrighty did it 2x as described and no change. The red light on bottom right is blinking slowly and that's it. If I point the remote at it and push power button, the red light flashes fast but does not turn unit on.

I'm sorry to hear that, and while you could try leaving the set unplugged for a length of time (an hour or more) in the hopes it resets, I wouldn't hesitate to return it to the retailer. I'm assuming it was purchased less than 30 days ago?

I bought it at Costco - I did not get the added coverage then, but have 45 days to do so, so can still get the coverage and then take back. Bummer! First new TV ever!

Unfortunately yes, I would return the set at this point. Within the grace period (30 days for most retailers- 45 for Costco and Best Buy), you can exchange the set for another. I'm not sure which model Samsung this is, but if it's one of the less expensive ones, I would suggest upgrading if you're able to one of the higher end model series- as they are built much more reliably. Also an extended warranty is a very good idea these days with all electronics made offshores.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

Aric, Technician
OK thank you for the help! Yeah this is a MU630D 50" so didn't break the bank, but should work lol. Don't need the 2yr warranty so will go off of the 45 day purchase. Thank you! And for sure, will give the positive rating as well. Cheers

Thank you for the rating, and I wish you the best of luck!