TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a vision model M55EO and I cannot cut it off, change…

I have a vision...

I have a vision model M55EO and I cannot cut it off, change volume or mute it. If I turn it off and let it rest and plug it back in they will work for a while and then become inoperable. Thanks tom

Technician's Assistant: Are all the cables at the back of your M55EO connected tightly to the right sockets?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: What type of input cables are you using: HDMI, RCA (red, yellow, and white cables), S-Video, or something else?

HDMI from cable box but that shoul not have an effect on power, or volume

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing else.

3/23/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

When you can't turn it off, or change volume, etc. does this occur with the buttons on the TV as well as the remote? Or just the remote?

Also, how long have you owned this set for?

Set is probably 4-5 years old and neither the remote or tv buttons will work. If you leave it on a couple of hours they work again and another hour or so they quit again

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately these symptoms occur when the processor on the Mainboard starts to fail. Right now it's intermittent but will become worse until the controls no longer work at all. There are no pushbutton or quick fixes for this and it requires repairs. Please standby while I type more on this (I'm not available and the website sends that offer without my consent).

Unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard is failing and ultimately needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $90:

http://www.tvpartsguy.com/vizio-m55-e0-main-board-0171-2272-6603-3655-1382-0150/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwy9LVBRDOARIsAGqoVnuzHaBzW9bhJLXkgGjtLRf_sgdi05gzEcKMDsWqy5RuOktnxz6WfxcaAn27EALw_wcB

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $250-$300 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 46-50" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician
Electrotech2017
Electrotech2017, Audio and Video Technician
Phone call session started