TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Mitsubishi tv model WD - 73838, no picture. error code 6…

Mitsubishi tv model WD -...
Mitsubishi tv model WD - 73838, no picture. error code 6 red , 1 yellow blinks. what does this mean
3/23/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Are you certain of that error, is it perhaps 16 rather than 61?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
could be 16, 1 yellow/6 red.

That is the part that sounds backwards to me,

1 red 6 yellow is a valid code

6 red 1 yellow has no meaning at all

Try pressing and holding the power button on the front for 10 seconds and then watch the lights again to see what they do

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Flashing green

Fast or slow?

If fast, let it run for another minute or so, until it stops flashing (lamp cooling process),

then try again

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Fast, then went off

Okay now press and hold the power button for the 10 second and watch it again

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
back to 1 yellow/6 red blinks

Can you please check the lamp cover, open it, make sure the lamp is tightly inserted, then close the lamp cover and make sure it is tightly secured

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Blinking yellow

Blinking only yellow is a somewhat good sign, just yellow is an open lamp door/cover.

Unplug power, Check it again making sure it is fully closed, then plug back in.

If still no change, then there is either some obstruction, or the microswitch that senses the door position is damaged.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Blinking green

Have you replaced the lamp or done any work on the tv recently?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Blinking yellow then 6 red
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Cycle continues, then off
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I replaced the lamp a year ago. I have a new one on hand now. I didn't want to change it due to the uncertainty of the code.

Okay there is a deeper issue here, it is giving an invalid error code, which in general is a main board fault since the self diagnostic function isn't able to cycle properly. With the changing codes, that isn't at all likely to be just a lamp. It wouldn't hurt to change it just to be safe since you have one handy, but beyond that we're primarily looking at a bad main board.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This set is already significantly past its service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. Even fixing this issue, other parts like the dlp chip, color wheel, etc will fail sooner than later as well needing many hundreds more each to keep it going, in addition to ongoing lamp costs.

For a tv of this type/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED 4k tv with a fresh warranty in the $1000 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I will try the process you suggest
then I'll decide on my options.
Thank you for your help

You're very welcome, and best of luck to you!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Installer
Nathan, Installer