TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have my dish network hooked up to tv1. I have a coax cable…

I have my dish...

I have my dish network hooked up to tv1. I have a coax cable splitter to go in the other room. How do I set up the coax cable from my tv1 so that it will pick up cable on tv2?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

It's a samsung. Probably 2008. I can get the model if needed. The HDMI cable doesn't work.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

We use TV1 only. Everything on tv1 works. TV2 is fuzz. We had it working before, and I removed tv1. Then I decided to keep tv1 and we tried to put it back and forgot how.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Samsung? What happened right before this?

Nothing. I wanted to use HDMI on tv1 which is a Plasma. I wanted to keep the Plasma TV. So, I disconnected everything. I got TV1 back and the DVD attached, but cannot get any cable on TV2

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything.

3/22/2018
Dan, Broadcast Engineer

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. How do you have your Dish receiver connected to TV1 now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is connected with a coax.

Okay. Are you splitting it there to connect the second TV?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It goes under the house. I changed everything when I figured the HDMI cable was broken.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I mean, I disconnected tv1 and was going to get rid of it, but I like the Plasma.

You would be better off using the HDMI to TV1 if possible, but if you want to continue to split the coax to connect TV2 you will need to make sure TV2 is set to either channel 3 or 4 to receive the signal from your Dish receiver.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The HDMI is not usable. TV 2 is set to channel 3. It's just for the tv we use in the sauna. It doesn't have to have HDTV. I just don't know where to plug in the coax cable to the back of tv1 that goes to tv2.

That will need to be connected to the antenna in port.

The coax cable coming from the Dish receiver will need to be split then from the splitter ports you will connect both of your TV's antenna in ports to coax cable.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have done that. Funny thing is it worked before
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't understand why it worked before I dismantled all the cables and cords from tv1. After that, tv2 cable doesn't work. I don't believe any of the cables were damaged.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The splitter connection under the house wasn't touched.
Ronald Brock

Hello, my name is ***** ***** appears that Dan has opted out so I will be assisting. So he was correct in saying that the coax out from the dish receiver will need to be split. Can you please tell me or take a picture of the splitter that you are using to split the signal beween tv1 and tv2 please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry, my internet was inadvertently unplugged.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The splitter is a 2-splitter. It is under the house. It worked perfectly before, and hasn't been touched.

My suggestion would be to double check the splitter to make sure that the lines have not somehow been disconnected or damaged. If the dish people were under the house working and saw that splitter, it is possible that they may have disconnected it while searching for lines to hook up your current services. have you checked this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No one was under the house, but I guess that's the only explanation why tv2 doesn't work. Do you have any other ideas?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We connected it a couple of years ago, and tv2 worked all that time until I disconnected tv1 and I also moved tv2, a little 24" samsung

when you moved tv2, is it still using the same coax outlet that it was using before?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is only one on that tv2.

the only explanation that I could come up with is that either the cable is damaged or the splitter is not functioning properly. if you were getting a partial picture, then there could be further troubleshooting, but if all you are getting is snow, then the signal is simply not making it to the other tv from the dish box

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is really peculiar. So, that could be the only explanation?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As I said, it worked perfectly before I moved the small tv2 and before I moved the much larger tv1 and all the rca cables.

I would suggest inspecting the cable, including the connections at the splitter. Make sure that the ends are not, what we call, "sucked out", meaning that there is a gap between the white insulation and the fitting itself.

the fitting would look like this if they are sucked out https://www.neogaf.com/threads/internet-problems-plaguing-me-for-years-router-setup-questions.1230351/#lg=_xfUid-5-1521761950&slide=0

how long ago was before that you had it all hooked up? is your crawlspace dry?

do you have any other connections hooked up to the dish box for tv1? hdmi, component or composite?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I only had it unhooked for about 3 weeks. Before that, we used it for about a year or two. No problems
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have hdmi hooked up for tv2. Nothing else on tv1 (but I will have to check.) Hdmi does not work on tv1. I will check component
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No component connections.

currently, you have coax going from the dish box to tv1 via coax correct and you do have a picture?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it works perfectly, and the connection to tv2 always worked, too.

ok, so that verifies that you have a working coax port. so do you have 2 wires coming from your crawl, one that goes down to the splitter and then another that comes back up to feed tv1?

if it would make troubleshooting any easier, I am available for a phone call if you would like

have you tried switching the coax cables to make sure that they are not hooked up backwards by chance, some splitters will not allow signal to travel backwards through a splitter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The connections are the same as they were. One coax in one room which is hooked to the tv1 from the dish, and then another one that hooks up to tv1 and goes under the house to tv2.

I know we visited this before, but just wanted to make sure. Has anyone been under the house since you have had the connections working before?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no.

any power surges or outages within the last 3 weeks?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The tv1 coax was finished off nicely with a gasket on top of the floor. The other one that goes to tv2 is unfinished.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We had a power outage.

ok. something to try, if possible. Are you able to move tv2 to where tv1 is located and hook the coax from tv1 up to tv2 to make sure that it is getting a signal, since we know that tv1 is working correctly

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That will take a few minutes. It's small, so I can move it.

take your time and just let me know

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It worked.

ok, so that verifies that the tv is working and getting the signal. We know that, at least, the input and the output leg of the splitter is working for tv1. There has to be something wrong with either the 2nd leg of the splitter that leads to tv2 or the line that leads from the splitter to tv2 is damaged or faulty. That, unfortunately, the only solution that we have left.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thanks very much.

not a problem, sorry it wasn't a simple fix, but we went through all the troubleshooting steps that I would have if i was troubleshooting a cable issue.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, I would ask that you please take a few minutes and provide me with a rating of at least 3 stars, as that is how we are compensated for our time here on JustAnswers! Thanks again!

Ronald Brock
Ronald Brock
Ronald Brock
Ronald Brock