TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I disconnect a receiver and hooked up a Polk sound bar. Now…

I disconnect a receiver...

I disconnect a receiver and hooked up a Polk sound bar. Now my tv won’t power on. It is a Viszio 28814120 I have direct TV service as well. I’ve tried a power reboot and that didn’t work

Technician's Assistant: Are there any lights on your speaker that are lit or blinking?

No none

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried resetting your speaker?

No will tru

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

Speaker has a light ob

3/22/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

That looks more like a serial, could you recheck for the model number on the back of the vizio, please?

Was the receiver/soundbar hooked up with hdmi?

Model M470SL Reciever was hooked to HDMI. New sound bar is digital. Hooked up to optical

Thank you for checking,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). Even just touching the hdmi cable tip or back panel of the tv could have induced static shock into the tv causing this damage.

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Nathan, Installer
Your answer did not solve my problem. I got it resolved by talking to a tv technician at Costco. I didn't know the cord connected to the tv was a removable one and it was slightly loose

If the cord was loose/disconnected, that should have been discovered as part of the reset process as I mentioned disconnecting the power cord, and when reconnecting it to the back of the tv it would have been properly reinserted, resolving the issue as a result.