TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The TV suddenly turned itself off and then on, but only the…

The TV suddenly turned...

The TV suddenly turned itself off and then on, but only the the LG logo comes on the screen now.

Technician's Assistant: What LG model do you have? How old is it?

2012 (55LM7600)

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

No menu comes up

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

We unplugged the TV and then plugged it back in. Same result. We have perfect audio. No problem with that.

3/22/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Offhand this points to a Mainboard failure in the set and generally requires replacement of this part to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up. The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps and are you still having the same problem?

I. Unplugged the TV bu t can’t find the power button on the tv itself.

It's either located directly under the LG power light on the front of the set (bottom of the front bezel) or located on one of the lower rear corners (back) of the set.

Can you tell me where the power button is?

Yes, please give me a minute to type okay? I just posted it.

Found the power button. Held it for 10 seconds. Then plugged the set back in. Same problem.

Try it twice, as that's your only shot at resetting.

Are you still having the same problem?

Restarted after unplugging and holding power button 10 seconds. Same problem.

If you're still having the same problem, then unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $180 (you would need to confirm that the part number on that board matches the one on your set):

https://www.ebay.com/i/122987015258?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $275-$350 parts and labor, which may or may not be cost effective on a 6 year old LED, as a brand new 46+" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician
Ok. Bad news but thanks for your help.

You're welcome, and I wish there were a quick fix. The only other thing besides repairs is to try leaving the set unplugged for several hours or more in the hopes the processor resets. Beyond that I wish you the best of luck with the set.