TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Panasonic Plazma viera tv TH-50PX80U. The date on…

I have a Panasonic...

I have a Panasonic Plazma viera tv TH-50PX80U

Technician's Assistant: How old is your Viera?

The date on the back says 2008

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Everything comes on except the tv. The red light is blinking 10 times..... power source?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Viera? What happened right before this?

The picture on the tv froze today

3/22/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Offhand the 10 blink code monitors the Mainboard in the TV, and can be caused by a failure of the Mianboard- or the power supply board in most cases.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.
I already did this. Tv did not come on. Tried it twice this afternoon. Not results
I’m wondering how much it would cost to gave it repaired? Is it worth the fix?

Okay thanks for elaborating on what you've already tried. So the TV does require repairs- and based on it freezing first, it looks like the Mainboard. So, what type of assistance were you looking for? Looking to repair it yourself, diagnosis, etc.?

Sorry about that, our replies crossed. Please give me a minute to type up the diagnosis and cost.

Guess I was wondering if I took it to repair person locally what approx it would take to fix it and costs? Cheaper to fix than replace?

This does indicate a hardware fault in the set, with the power board or Mainboard that requires repairs. There are no settings/adjustments that will cause the TV to shut itself down. The only other attempt at a quick fix, is to leave the set unplugged for several hours in the hopes that it resets.

At a shop this is between $300-$350 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 46-50" LED Smart TV starts at just over the same cost. Given this set is 10 years old, and parts are no longer made- I would suggest replacement. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician
Thank you very much for your help.

You're very welcome and all the best!