TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I purchased a Sharp LCDTV 48" about 2 years ago. Currently…

Customer Question
I purchased a Sharp...

I purchased a Sharp LCDTV 48" about 2 years ago. Currently when I turn it on only the Sharp nameplate comes up and fades away in about 5 seconds. I cannot get anything else to open. I have tried the various resets. The Sharp people are of no use at all. I believe the backlights are OK (I can see small bulbs inside the top vents). Any ideas?

Technician's Assistant: What Sharp model do you have? How old is it?

LC-48LE653U

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Nothing works except the nice clear Sharp nameplate when I turn on.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Sharp? What happened right before this?

Well, its my mo-in-law's. She claimed it began when she dropped the remote, but I'm not sure that has an effect. This began about a month ago, since then it has been at my house trying to find a fix.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I believe that is all.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 1 month ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat online with me right now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
email is fine
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
am I supposed to do something else?

Is the "Sharp nameplate" that comes on - on the frame of the tv or is that actually on the screen?

AFTER that fades out, are the back lights still on?

Does the tv SHUT OFF on it's own or stay on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is on the screen nice and clear. I will check the backlights. It does not shut off.

Ok, let me know if the back lights stay on AFTER the on screen logo fades away.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
checking

Ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they stay on and the screen has a glow
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it the sharp name comes on I can rule out the power supply correct?

Ok, so this can be either the Tcon board or the Power board supplying power to the Tcon board. It would be best to test that with a meter. Or you can just get a Tcon board, they are only about $20 - http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=LC-48LE653U+tcon+-+kit

Let me know if you get stuck on any part of this repair, just reply back.

Before you go, please do show your appreciation by submitting a 5 star rating at the top of this page so that I am recognized for helping with your question. If you are having issues with the rating try refreshing the page.

Did you get the message I just posted?

I do want you to be satisfied, so do you need something more?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, you indicated a T Com board so that is what I bought. I hope it fixes my problem. Should know by Thurs or Friday.

Ok.

Customer reply replied 3 days ago
the answer did not work, now I have vertical lines on half the screen
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 3 days ago

You didn't test the voltages I mentioned - " It would be best to test that with a meter" ?

Does the new board part number match EXACLTY with your original board?

If you put the original back in, does the problem change?

Customer reply replied 3 days ago
I did not replace the old board. If I do and it reverts to the original problem does that tell me something different? I don't have a meter. I could buy one if you think necessary. While they look like fun I would probably only use it one time. As I write this I am watching my old 65 in Sharp that is 7 or 8 years old never a problem and turned on 12 hr a day.
Customer reply replied 3 days ago
Could it possibly be that I didn't get the contact ribbons clamped down correctly?

Of course, ribbon cables should always be triple checked.

Putting the old board back in can tell us if the new board is bad and possibly if the display panel is bad and possibly if the voltage is missing.

Customer reply replied 3 days ago
the new board matches exactly the numbers on the old board.
Customer reply replied 3 days ago
Would the display panel be bad if the opening Sharp logo comes up clearly and then fades away?

This is why we test voltages.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician