TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have an 80 inch Vizio and it's connected via a DTV box.

I have an 80...

I have an 80 inch Vizio and it's connected via a DTV box. The box is connected to the tv via HDMI. We've had the tv for four years and have not had a problem. Yesterday the sound went out via the HDMI cable. The box is not the problem because I attached it to another tv in the room and it works fine using the HDMI cable. To see if it's the tv that is the problem, he connected to Netflix and the sound was normal. It appears that there is something wrong with the HDMI connections in the TV since the same HDMI cable was used to connect to the other TV. I tried using other HDMI cable connections on the TV without luck. What do you think is the problem

Technician's Assistant: Are all the cables at the back of your Vizio TV connected tightly to the right sockets?

I double and triple checked to be sure and yes it is

Technician's Assistant: What type of input cables are you using: HDMI, RCA (red, yellow, and white cables), S-Video, or something else?

I said HDMI, no other cables. Again, nothing has changed in the connection type for four years

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....
Are you available to chat online with me right now?

Are you using the speakers built into the tv or external like sound bar or surround sound?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The TV's speakers

You said Netflix has sound. Is that via the Netflix App built into the tv or some external device?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The TV app

Do you currently have access to the tv so you can try something?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm pretty familiar with the TV's connection system. The TV is in our downstairs TV room. So just ask me and I'll let you know if I've already tried it

Please try this (must be done in this specific order):

-leave the tv On, showing the picture from the Directv box.
-unplug the Directv box POWER cord from the wall outlet.
-wait 20 seconds then plug in that power cord (manually power on the box if needed).

-watch the tv screen as the box boots up.

REPLY back here and tell me what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will do this, but remember that I already disconnected the cable from the problem TV and connected it to another TV in the room and the TV had picture and Sound

Yes, I did read that. This is a very specific test we want to perform.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The receiver is going thru startup mode

Ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It worked, which surprises me because my wife restarted it last night. Thank you

You're welcome.

Before you go, please do show your appreciation by submitting a 5 star rating at the top of this page so that I am recognized for helping with your question. If you are having issues with the rating try refreshing the page.

Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician