TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The sound of my tv fluctuates from being good to sounding…

The sound of my...

The sound of my tv fluctuates from being good to sounding like it is hollow or an echo

Technician's Assistant: Are all the cables at the back of your TV connected tightly to the right sockets?

I will check that. just a minute

Technician's Assistant: What type of input cables are you using: HDMI, RCA (red, yellow, and white cables), S-Video, or something else?

I do have the red, yellow and white. they appear to be tightly connected

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I have tried to adjust the sound by using the remote and going from standard to movie, etc

3/20/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

1) What's the model number off of the back of the TV?

2) How old is it and when did the issue occur?

3) What's connected to it (cable box, satellite box, home theater, etc.)?

4) If you switch over to a different source- like a DVD player, does the same issue occur?

1) i will have to check
2) about five years old-a smart tv
3)cable box
4) will try that

Thanks. On #2, I didn't ask what type of TV it was- I asked when the issue occurred? Standing by for the rest of the info requested.

By far the most common cause of this problem, is a glitch in the cable box processing.
Please follow the steps below:
1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box AND the TV from power (unplug their power cords).
2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).
3) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 full seconds while the set is unplugged, then release the power button.
4) Plug the cable box AND the TV back into power, then turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

This should restore the sound. However if it does not, then please try another source- such as a DVD player on the TV and see if that has sound. This tells us whether or not the TV, or the cable/SAT box itself is causing the problem.

it appears to be the same sound problem with the DVD. my serial no. is Z1Q3C3DZ501412V, Model no is uN4C8000XFzA

If it's the same problem with a DVD then this is an internal hardware issue and generally requires repairs.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up and the sound works normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

i will try your suggestions. if i does not improve do i need to take to a technician to fix?

That all depends on your skill level. Hang on and I'll post the diagnosis IF those steps do not work.

Is that a "40" after the "UN" (it's not a 4- this would be your screen size)?

it is 46

Okay thanks.

If you're still having the same problem, then unfortunately this indicates the set's Mainboard needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $150 (but is currently showing as out of stock):

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn94-02696f-main-board-for-un46c8000xfxza.htm

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $250-$300 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 46" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician