TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a projector question. Optoma TH1060P. TH1060P, it’s…

Customer Question
I have a projector...

I have a projector question

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

Optoma TH1060P

Technician's Assistant: What Optoma model do you have? How old is it?

TH1060P, it’s at least 5yrs old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

The problem is that it was working fine - bulb just broke and I’ve replaced it with an OEM bulb. Now it starts but after just ~1 minute it shuts down without warning.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Optoma? What happened right before this?

After it shuts down, the power LED blinks 5 times and then the red lamp LED blinks once

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: TV
3/20/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 3 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Are you certain that you got an oem (philips/osram) lamp?

I bought it from Optoma

Okay it is possible you got a bad lamp, that it was installed slightly off kilter, or there was some contact made with the glass that is causing it to overheat.

Take the lamp out, blow out the inside compartment with compressed air and carefully reseat the lamp, making sure the lamp cover is tightly closed.

I actually had purchased 2 lamps. Both were an issue. I’ve vacuumed the unit from the sides to try and clear the fans/filters. Both fans turn on, but admittedly they may not be strong enough to keep up with the new bulb.
Do these units just turn off without warning?
I would not be surprised if there is something going on with a sensor.

For an OEM lamp, there should be no issues with the fan airflow so long as things are clean,

when it shuts down, it is going into a protection mode. That could be because the ballast was damaged by the prior lamp blowing out.

Have you tested both of these new lamps and they both do the same thing?

Exact same.
The unit turns on, and actually the picture is fantastic, but after 1 minute - it just turns off. If it was overheating, wouldn’t the fans keep running?

If it was overheating you'd see the temp indicator instead of the lamp indicator

This case would be either a bad lamp (very unlikely to have 2 in a row like this) or a deeper hardware issue,

the most likely being a bad ballast or power supply. The pj senses those associated voltage fluctuations and shuts down in a protection mode to prevent further damage.

Got it. But what makes no sense is that it was working perfectly before, literally 48 hrs ago. Now the image was not as bright, but it worked perfectly.
Also, the blown lamp is encased in metal, it’s not like it blew and damaged something.

I would expect that this is a result of damage from the prior lamp blowing, when they reach the end of their life they can overdraw the power supply just before they go and cause damage. I'm not saying that it was physical trauma from an explosion or flying glass or anything like that.

But this is something that is going to need repairs, which are probably not going to be feasible for a 2011 model that is already past its service life, as you can buy a new one for about what you'd spend to fix this.

Seems odd - if it was broken from the power supply level, why would it consistently boot up without issue (each time requires unit to be unplugged or else it won’t turn the lamp on).

Again it is more likely the ballast, not the power supply necessarily, and there are capacitors that help it to start up and run initially, but not necessarily able to sustain operation resulting in the shut down

What does the ballast do?

That is a separate power source for the lamp

Are you familiar with the Optoma projectors? I assume nearly all of these are built the same way, right? Have you heard of this issue before?
Again, the unit starts great - it really seems way more like a heat issue, not a power problem

Yes I am familiar with them, I'm a dealer/installer for them and have repaired several of them and use them in my own theater.

There is a heat sensor, called a thermister, but again if that was overheating it would be giving a temp indicator error.

Ok

If you want to be sure, you can point a bigger fan at the pj and see if it runs any longer.

Either way though really whether it is a sensor, ballast, or even the main power supply or control board, you're still ultimately looking at repairs that are probably just not going to be cost effective. Unless by chance you've had this less than 3 years and its under warranty, or have an extended warranty