TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Snow on picture - both cable and antenna ( one channel comes…

Customer Question
Snow on picture -...

Snow on picture - both cable and antenna ( one channel comes in very clear, almost digital quality)

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Model D32f-e1 Vizio Brand bought 1/28/18

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Tv menu works - same problem on cable & antenna

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your D32F-E1? What happened right before this?

Originally I received digital channels on bioth cable and antenna (mostly analog channels). all of a sudden maybe 2 weeks ago digital channels dissappeared and snow appeared

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

In the morning tv is watchable (ismall amount of snow but in the evening there is much more snow)

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Is there a cable box connected here, or just basic coax only cable?

Does anything else work (dvd, apps, etc)? Or same snow on all?

basic coax cable only - dvd player works fine
can't use phone now

And you have both an antenna and the cable feed?
Or you mean you have the same issue whether you are setting up the channel search function under either, but the actual feed is from the cable co?

a cable feed and an antenna. both show snow - 1 channel on cable (AMC is working fine today but usually none work without snow)
did you receive response

Do you have any other tvs there that are hooked up to the same basic cable feed?
If so do they have the same issue?

no other tv - only one in the RV - Century link is the cable provider

There are a few possible issues here,

one is that the tuner in the tv may have an internal hardware failure - a very common problem on these vizios.

The other possibility is that there is a signal issue with centurylink - most cable providers, including them, have gone to all digital all encrypted channels, which the vizio would not be capable of picking up, you'd have to get a cable box provided by centurylink. Since the antenna channels aren't working either, a hardware failure is more of a concern.

Can you tell me how you have both the antenna and cable feed connected? Is there a splitter/combiner being used, or an a/b switch, or how is it wired?

In my RV there is one attachment where the cable and antenna feed the TV. I assume in the internal wiring of the RV includes a splitter. A few weeks ago both the cable and antenna included digital channels and all other channels were good on both inputs.
As I am within the 90 day return policy of Costco, do you recommend a return.

Since you bought it there, yes, absolutely. Take it back, get a refund, and start over, preferably with another model. I never recommend these vizios, and I'm continually amazed that costco still sells them. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best, ***** ***** they do work.

I would start over with a new tv from LG or Samsung if possible. You'll be a lot better off in the long run

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?