TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My video TV just randomly turned itself on and off. This…

My video TV just...

My video TV just randomly turned itself on and off. This just started yesterday after the TV had been on for about 6 hours watching the N CAA March madness tournament. It turns itself on, and turn self off in about 5 seconds and then it repeats. Has been turning on and off for the last 30 minutes.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Vizio. 4 years old. I have to look for the model #. Be right back.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

E500-A1

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Vizio? What happened right before this?

That screen does not stay on long enough to access in each analysts then the delivery room TV is the only TV this is happening to

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No I'm just looking for solution as I don't have the money to buy a new TV with 3 kids in college.

3/20/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best which is all they are designed for.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Thank you. I will try unplugging it now.

You are very welcome, and best of luck to you!

If you end up replacing, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as LG, Panasonic, and Samsung, for example: http://amzn.to/2CxVZhP

The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it.

Nathan, Installer