TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We have sound but no picture. Not that I am aware of

Customer Question
We have sound but...

We have sound but no picture

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Not that I am aware of recently. have had a few in the past.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

The only thing that I can think of is the model number 50H5G.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: TV
3/19/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 3 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Are you able to see the tvs own menu screens, by pressing the Menu button on the hisense remote?

no

Thank you for checking,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or backlight component, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be at all surprising for this brand. These are some of the very lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or so at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?