TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Jensen tv in my motor home that will work for a…

I have a Jensen...

I have a Jensen tv in my motor home that will work for a while and then just shuts off. Run times are from 10 min to maybe 20 min.

Technician's Assistant: What Jensen model do you have? How old is it?

Cant find a model number but it came on a model 2013 coach.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Menu works, same on all sources.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Jensen? What happened right before this?

Every since we have had the unit, (We bought it new) we are just watching and it cuts off.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Don't think so.

3/19/2018
Nathan, Installer
Can you tell me the model number from the back of the tv please?
The back of the tv is fastened to a steel plate covering up the model number.
Can you tell me the size of the tv?
Does it happen on both ac and dc power?
26inch, I think it is ac
Okay many of them can run off either so that is what I was wondering about.
I have put in my credit card info in 3 Times and it doesn't take it

I’ve attempted to accept your call request, but it appears to have failed on your end due to a payment issue. You may need to increase your deposit or call your bank to clear a security hold on your account (the 2nd charge is usually what triggers this, not a problem with the card number/info).

If you prefer to continue here in chat, that is fine too. Just let me know either way.

Thanks,

I guess we will drop this for now much to complectated for this old man. We will live with it as we have for the last 5 years.

Well we can keep chatting here at least, give me a few moments for me to send you some inco here,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 or older model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $150 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Thanhs

You're very welcome!

If replacing, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as LG, Panasonic, and Samsung, for example: http://amzn.to/2EgA401

The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed.

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Installer