TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Vizio Smart TV and I cannot get the remote to

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a Vizio Smart TV and I cannot get the remote to connect with the TV. I can connect to Hulu but I cannot freely move around

Technician's Assistant: What is the model of your TV?

Model number d55u-D1

Technician's Assistant: What menu options can you access, if any?

It says Turner has not been set up press input key to change inputs or menu key to find channels but the remote will not let me do it

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Just need help, I have a foot of snow on the ground and kids want to watch TV

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: TV
3/19/2018
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 1 month ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Welcome to JustAnswer, an independent, pay per question support website
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this and I'll do my best to help

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do I need to do

- Just to clarify, TV isn't showing channels, is this correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The TV is showing sites like Hulu Netflix YouTube it will let me click on the site it will not let me move around freely. I have to wait a few minutes before I move things around like if I'm watching the news and I want to watch something else I have to wait a few minutes and click on it. And spelling things out is impossible. It would take me a half an hour to write ABC News

OK, following troubleshooting step should be tried that might help

- Have you tried to disconnect TV power cord from the power outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did that, disconnected the TV new batteries in the remote disconnected the router and put everything back in

OK, it is not a remote control issue, in fact, it is TV internal problem, lets try to restore the TV to default settings that might help

To restore the TV to its factory default settings:

1. Press the MENU button on the remote. The on-screen menu is displayed.

2. Use the Arrow buttons on the remote to highlight System and press OK. The SYSTEM menu is displayed.

3. Highlight Reset & Admin and press OK. The RESET & ADMIN menu is displayed.

4. Highlight Reset TV to Factory Defaults and press OK.

5. If you have changed the default parental control PIN, enter it now. The TV displays, “Select Reset to restore all TV settings to factory defaults and clear all account information.”

6. Highlight Reset and press OK.

7. Wait for the Tv to turn Off and turn back On shortly afterward and the Setup App will begin.

Go through the initial setup process to finish it and reply back with the result

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have gotten down to CEC and I noticed below that is the power indicator and it says it is off I'm trying to get to reset but it like it is frozen
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay I'm at reset and admin and it says Vizio privacy policy, viewing data off and store demo

If no video source is hooked to HDMI input of the TV then the CEC option will be Off

Please unplug the TV for 5 minutes from power, replug back in and try again to go to Reset and Admin menu to reset the TV

Offhands it seems the mainboard of the TV is going bad and causing this frozen issues if the reset doesn't fix the problem then the mainboard replacement would be next option

Please select Home Use mode (do not select store demo mode) and proceed to finish the setup

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It also says reset TV to factory default. I selected reset, now what?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It says select restore all TV settings to factory default and clear all account information should I select it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nowhere does it say home use

Yes, select restore all TV settings to factory default

Store demo/ home use option will come up after resetting the TV

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My options are reset admin, Vizio privacy policy, viewing data off, and store demo. Which one should I select
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now it says store demo disabled next enabled. Now what

Let it disabled and go to next option of set up

Did you select restore all TV settings to factory default and TV went Off and back On itself?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay it went off
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It went off now it's back on do I hit store demo or home use

Select Home Use, please

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I entered my password ***** it hasn't helped me with the remote issue but it hasn't helped me with the remote issue

Sorry to hear that, as I mentioned in my previous reply, then it is the mainboard internal issue, I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

If TV is out of warranty then replacement of the mainboard is next option at this point to resolve the problem, there is a repair kit available that includes all boards of this TV for $70, please click the following link to view the 'repair kit' or main board info if you're looking to attempt to repair the TV yourself

http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio/d55u-d1

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use the following link to get a list of TV repair shops in the area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
http://www.tvrepairman.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue
I trust my input will help you out to make the decision about this TV repair or invest that money in new replacement TV
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page so I can get the credit for my work on the website
Thank you

Shahid
Shahid
Shahid, Technician