TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Our remote quit working abruptly yesterday. We checked the…

Customer Question
Our remote quit working...

Our remote quit working abruptly yesterday. We checked the batteries and that wasn't the problem. The model number is *****

Technician's Assistant: How old is your M50-C1?

Around 4 years old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

At fist it wouldn't change channels so after much trial and error we shut it off from the back and now it won't turn on with the remote

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Connect me?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
3/19/2018
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 4 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Is it only the remote that won't work, or will the TV not power on at all (try using the power button on the lower left hand rear corner of the TV and let me know if it works)?

it does

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a cell phone camera or digital camera we can use to test the remote? Let me know.

I have an iPhone 5s

Okay that won't work as iPhones don't detect infra-red signals. You may simply need a new remote, but let's try a hard rest first.

Shut the TV off and unplug the power cord from the wall. Then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 15 seconds and release.

Remove the batteries (and replace if they're even questionable), then press and hold the power button on the remote for 10 seconds and release.

Wait a minute them put the batteries back in the remote and plug the TV's power cord back in.

Try turning the TV on with the remote and let me know what happens please.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?

The tv turned on and then immediately shut off

Try using the power button on the set to turn it back on. Does it shut right back off?

It came on

Now try using your remote.

We did and it won't change channels or turn it off

Okay I did not know that you tried it again. Can you get ahold of a device with a digital camera besides an iPhone so we can see if the remote is the culprit?

I have my Canon power shot

Thanks for the reply. Can you please turn on your camera and view the tip of the remote through the screen? Press any of the buttons on the remote while pointing the tip of it at the camera. Let me know if you see a flash of light through the camera screen.

No, noflash

Okay this is good news and simply means you need a new remote- and it's not an issue within the TV. Please standby while I search for a source you can purchase this remote.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?