TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I am trying to connect my dvd player, NS300, to a new sony…

I am trying to...

I am trying to connect my dvd player, NS300, to a new sony tv, Bravia KDL 40W650D. When I connect the 3 colored output jacks to the EC supplied with the TV, and then choose Video on the input menu, I get a black and white picture only. What should I do?

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your Bravia?

Yes, I have an HDMI cable connected to our Apple TV. I also have the audio jacks on the DVD player connected to the TV, and I do get audio.

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Not that I know of

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't have the TV connected directly to either ethernet or WiFi; we just use the Apple TV and a coax connection to our over-the-air digital antenna. We are in a rural area and don't get cable.

3/19/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Please first make sure that the Yellow Video cable is plugged into the Greenish/Yellow "Y/Video" jack on the Sony TV, and next try selecting EACH one of the Input selections one at a time and let me know if one provides color (offhand it sounds like you may be on the "Component" Input setting. Let me know!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where should the video cable be connected on the DVD player? There's a single "video 1" jack under "Line Out"; or there's the set of three colored jacks under "component video out". I have tried both the "Component" input and the "Video" input.

Here's the protocol:

1) If using "AV/Video" cables- which are red, white and yellow- then connect the red white and yellow to the SAME colors on the DVD. Then on the TV connect Yellow to "Green Y/Video" and connect red and white to red and white AUDIO IN. Select VIDEO for the Input selection.

2) If using "COMPONENT" cables- which are red, blue, green, red and white, then connect them to the SAME color jacks on the DVD, and the SAME color jacks on the TV. Select COMPONENT for the Input selection.

Were you able to try those steps and are you having the same problem?

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not clear... The Sony TV has a single small 3.5 mm jack for video input, according to the manual. With the TV I received a splitter with a 3.5 mm plug that expands into 3 RCA jacks color-coded. So your previous message doesn't really correspond to that. On the TV, the only thing I can plug into is the 3 RCA jacks on the splitter, plus 2 RCA jacks for audio. So now what do I do?

Elaborate on the "3 RCA jacks color coded" please since you mentioned you tried both "Video" (3 colors) and "Component" (5 colors).

So on your splitter are the colors "Yellow, Red, and White" please?

Aric, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, for some reason I have color now. I think I connected it the same way before, but whatever. Thanks for your help

You're welcome and I'm glad it's working.

Aric, Technician