TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I moved to another home now my RCA 50 inch flat screen will…

Customer Question
I moved to another...

I moved to another home now my RCA 50 inch flat screen will not power only red light n blue horizontal flash in middle if scree .

Technician's Assistant: Is your RCA TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

No

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No it just won't turn on

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 5 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you tell me the model number from the back of the tv please?

Can I get back to you in the morning it's late where I am at I'm already in bed thank you.

Yes that is just fine, just reply back here at your convenience

Hello. The number on the back of my tv.is Model.LED501345RQ. I'm not sure if it's a O or Q or 0 at the end. Thank you

Thanks for getting back with me,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or so at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Thank you so much for all the great info. Everything you said is true about this brand. We had it only six months. But my cousin got it back running after it stopped working before,so now this,no surprise time for an upgrade..thank you
You’re very welcome!