TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My tv won’t turn on when I use the remote to turn it on and…

Hello my tv won’t...

Hello my tv won’t turn on when I use the remote to turn it on and it’s brand new the tv is I got it a couple days ago. But now whenever I press the right button to put on Netflix it won’t move

Technician's Assistant: Is your TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

No it’s connected to the wall

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes and it’s still the same

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

The light is still on when the tv is on

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please I’m desperate i just got my tv n i tried everything to fix it and it won’t work
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What can I do to fix it? Tv light is on when tv is off. I try to turn it off with remote n it won’t work. Try to put on Netflix n it won’t move when I press on the left side please help
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
when I press the right button to go right it turns off
3/19/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you tell me the brand and model number of the tv, please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s a philips roku tv

Can you tell me the model number, please?

Thanks,

and it this point will it not turn on at all (no picture, no sound, nothing on screen at all)?

Or it comes on but seems to be "frozen" and the screen is stuck so you can't move between apps, bring up menus, etc?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah it seems frozen but it won’t let me switch to any apps if I press the right button when I press the right button the tv turns off n right now it turns on n off when I press the buttom button

If you press the menu button on the philips remote, does it respond to that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No when I pressed it the tv turned off but when I press on the up button it works fine but not the buttom button or right button

Thank you for checking

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; even on a new tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or so at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair. It should be under warranty, but if at all possible I would highly recommend you take advantage of the tv being so new and simply take it back to the store where you bought it and ask for a refund. If they'll let you, I'd recommend you consider buying a different model from a better quality brand which will last you much longer. I can recommend some better replacement options if you'd like. If they won't I would at least try to exchange it for a new one of the same model.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Installer
Nathan, Installer