TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Power won’t come on. Had a brief power outage. Has been on a…

Power won’t come on...

Power won’t come on. Had a brief power outage

Technician's Assistant: Is your TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?

Has been on a bar for quite some time and I plugged in to the wall outlet. Don’t know what a surge protector is

Technician's Assistant: The TV Technician will be able to walk you through that. Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes no luck

3/18/2018
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you tell me the brand and model number of your tv, please?

Panasonic TC P42X5

Thank you for the information,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is past its service life at this point and plasma technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Thanks for the thorough response I’ll give 60 minute thing a try. Could you suggest a brand for a new tv?
You’re very welcome. If replacing, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as LG, Panasonic,
and Samsung, for example: http://amzn.to/2CxVZhP
The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if
parts/repairs are ever needed.
If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to
begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you
can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it.
Nathan, Installer
Thanks again . Good job