TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Darker area in upper right corner. Overall much darker in…

Customer Question
Darker area in upper...

Darker area in upper right corner. Overall much darker in the past three days

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Vizio E70-E3 Exactly ONE YEAR old

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Same on all

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your E70-E3? What happened right before this?

3 days, and nothing happened

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

That I'm upset??

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: TV
3/18/2018
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Is the tv more or less than a year old specifically?

ONE YEAR
Answer?

I have to assume you mean approximately a year.

Was it purchased exactly on 3/18/2017?

Or was it prior to that, or after that? The exact actual purchase date is a critical detail here that will greatly affect your options.

13 months

Thank you, ***** ***** me a few minutes to send some detailed information for you here,

still waiting

Please understand I'm a live human tech here and need time to type out a detailed answer.

Do you wish to continue?

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or backlight, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; even for a 2017 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

Even if you fix the current issue, we would expect other parts to continue failing and need more and more repairs.

For a tv of this brand however, replacement will usually make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand and much longer lasting brand, in the $1000 range and be better off in the long run.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 3 months ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.