TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Panasonic dvd/vhs player/recorder, model

I have a Panasonic...

I have a Panasonic dvd/vhs player/recorder, model #DMR-E#46V

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your media player? How old is it?

ES46V

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your media player?

I tried playing a dvd on it and it doesn’t recognize the disk as inserted and I ca’t switch to vhs either.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes. The red indicator light does not light up to show that dvd or vhs is selected and also it is not recognized now by my tv even though all the cords are properly attached.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you get the correction to the model number. It is DMR-ES46V Panasonic. The power turns on, the eject button works, it previously worked with the current setup. It was not unplugged, nor were the cords to the tv ever disconnected - it just stopped being recognized by the tv and the player would not recognized any of the several dvds we tried.
3/18/2018
Eldon
Eldon, Technician

Hello and sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This unit is at about 3 times its service life at this point.
There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; though repairs for these units just isn't feasible. There are no parts available for them any longer and labor alone would be 2-3 times the cost of a new system.
I can help you with finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.
My apologies for the news,

Eldon

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have to get my husband to try what you suggested, but he has gone to bed and won't be able to try it until tomorrow morning. I'd like to leave this open until then in case we have further questions when trying your advice. Then we can close this out and complete the rating. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What you have suggested seems like it would be clear and I am unable to do it myself due to a disability, so its not necessary to call.

No problem at all, take your time. Feel free to get back in touch at your convenience.

Eldon

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t see the question I just submitted, so I’ll submit it again. Before I do the reset test, do I need to disconnect the audio and video cords and the hdmi cord? Then, when I press and hold the power button for 60 seconds they are disconnected. When do I plug them back in during the rest of the test or do I just leave them unplugged?

No, it is not necessary to connect all the av cables, just the power.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, it still says no disk when we power it on and insert a disk. I guess it’s dead. Now, Inwant to find another that performs the same functions (play, record both ways, and dvd/vhs). So far all I can find are refurbished units, which makes me nervous. I have a lot of vhs tapes that I want to copy to dvd.

Thank you for trying,

you won't find anything new unfortunately. Really only used and refurb. Vhs technology is entirely obsolete now, no one has even manufactured any vhs systems since 2012.

Refurb is really the only option, and I'd jump on those quick too as there is very limited supply.

Here is one model I'd suggest: http://amzn.to/2IAPHOj

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked out the unit above and it says its a player only and there is something wrong with the tuner as it comes in as black and white. Not sure what that means. I guess I will look locally at some units at repair shops. Perhaps I can get one there where I can easily return it if it doesn't work. Thanks for your help.

I'm sorry about that, I think I sent you the wrong link,

Here is a filtered listing overall of models that should work for you if you'd like to get a better idea of whats out there: http://amzn.to/2FMZJyj

I recommend either the panasonic or toshiba models overall, they are the best built.

Alternately, if you can manage to find just a standalone vcr, or even just a vhs player, you could use that along with a usb ideo grabber: http://amzn.to/2FUyOg1

and import your tapes into your computer for archival and long term storage there. You could then burn them to dvds if needed too.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Eldon

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your advice. I will check into those options. I'm going to the rating right now. You have been very helpful.

You're very welcome!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sorry. I did give you 5 stars and I think I also added a comment. Then I received notification that I was charged the $24. I am confused as to why you didn't get credit.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just checked my account and it definitely has the $24 charge deducted. You should get credit.

I'm not sure, but no worries I'll let customer service know to correct that, must be a site issue. I appreciate your follow up though!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you find you need any further proof, let me know and I can contact them for you.

Will do, thank you. I've sent it in so I'm sure they will update it.

Eldon
Eldon, Technician
Eldon
Eldon
Eldon, Technician