TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Mitsubishi WD-73835 dlp and I had dots on screen so…

I have a Mitsubishi WD-73835...
I have a Mitsubishi WD-73835 dlp and I had white dots on screen so I replaced the chip and put a new bulb in tv.It was working fine for about a week then the picture started to get darker and darker the bulb is only about a month old. I've tried resetting the tv to factory settings but didn't work. I try to adjust the brightness but it doesn't do anything could the bulb be going bad or could it be the ballast or something else? I have had this tv since 2009 and have replaced the bulb about five times since I have owned this television. Is it worth the time and money to fix or should I start thinking about replacing?
3/18/2018
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan. Just so I'm clear on the problem....are you saying the TV is working normally, but with a dim picture that keeps getting dimmer?

that is correct.

Has this happened to all of the TV's inputs? Also, what about the menu? Use the original remote and bring up the menu and tell me if it's dim, too.

I am using the HDMI input and yes the menu is dim also

Hmm, can you take a picture so I can see how dim it is? That would really help.

getting ready yo send

ok

Trying to send pictures

Next to the "Send" button there is a link that says "Add Files"

Did the pictures come through?

Sure did, thanks! Where did the new lamp come from? How long did you have the lamp before you installed it?

I bought it at a tv repair shop in Dallas the same day I bought the DLP chip and installed them at the same time

A picture like that is normally caused by an old lamp, but it could also be a dirty projection mirror, optical lens, or even the new DLP chip itself. The most common by far would be the lamp, though, particularly if it happened over a week or so. Normally a dirty mirror or lens would happen over months and years and people normally don't notice it at all because it's so gradual. I would have the lamp replaced under a return policy or warranty, if one exists. Otherwise, purchase a genuine replacement >>HERE<<.

I had to install new bulb in the old bulb housing

That's not unusual. The same option is available at the link I provided, or you can choose to purchase it pre-installed in the housing.

Would the bulb work if the wires on it were reversed? When I installed chip and bulb the picture was as bright as it was when I first bought the tv but gradually got dimmer
If I replace the bulb and it doesn't help what would be the next step?
Are you still there and did you see my last 2 questions