TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Panasonic TC-P55VT30 that will not turn on and

I have a Panasonic...

I have a Panasonic TC-P55VT30 that will not turn on and shows no signs of life. Can you advise first steps?

Technician's Assistant: Is your TC-P55VT30 connected to a surge protector or power strip?

YEs

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

This unit was manufacture Sept 2011. I have serial number info on file, if needed.

3/18/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply Board being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps? Are you still having the same problem?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello -- I just tried and now I'm seeing 7 blinks of red from the power button area.

Thanks for the reply. Is that 7 blinks a repeating pattern (7 blinks, pause, 7 blinks, etc.)? Or just 7 blinks and out?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is repeating.

Okay, 7 blinks monitors the Plasma display panel and means one of the boards that works in a group to provide video is faulty. This is a hardware related failure, and not something that can be fixed at home. Please give me a minute to type this up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thanks for confirming that. Will stand by for add'l info.

You're welcome. Here are the general fault points for a 7 blink code: First, the power supply is a common cause of this problem (the high voltage that drives the sustain boards is prone to failure). This typically will cost you $300-$350 to have repaired.

The other very common issues, are problems with the Sustain boards failing- or even the Plasma display itself (which is uncommon). They are responsible processing the Plasma display and are common failures in the 5-7 year range. The average cost for this type of repair is around $450 parts and labor.

Given that a brand new 50" LED TV can be purchased for about the same cost as repairing this set, it may make more sense to put that same money towards replacement of the set- versus repairs.

However if you would like to inquire about repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

Aric, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Absolutely. Thank you very much for the quick tips and information. It was highly useful. I'll of course give you a five-star rating. Would you recommend comparable models to this one in the new or lightly used category of LEDs?

Thank you and it's much appreciated. I would not recommend used, or even lightly used in any case as TV reliability in general has gone down across the board. I would suggest LG as being one of the more reliable brands these days. Samsung has mixed reliability, but are a close second. I would recommend staying away from the "entry level" series and models from any manufacturer (as they are built more for a price point than they are reliability). Additionally I would also strongly suggest purchasing as long of an extended warranty as you can find. A common failure point is the LED lighting in the screens these days- due to speedy mass production overseas. Unfortunately the old adage "they don't make them like they used to" holds very true for modern electronics.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Excellent. LG, extended warranty LED screen. Where is the best place to get a quote, if we want to look into repair?
The link provided above for the www.tvrepairpros.com will show you all of the certified repair professionals in your area.
Aric, Technician